Do you like crafts? Working with the hands is a highly valued art in many parts of the world and, sometimes, depending on the complexity of the design and the material used to make it, each piece usually has a very high cost, since it is considered a piece only.
This means that crafts can become a great source of income. Best of all, it is an activity that does not consume much time and, therefore, you can do it together with your current job, without it being affected.
On the other hand, if you currently do not have a job, this may be your opportunity to start a business. But where to start? What can you do?
Given that crafts encompass the manufacture of different things, such as fabrics, embroidery, hair accessories, ceramic painting, etc., the ideal is that you get to do something original, something to which you can give your personal touch, like jewelry.
However, within costume jewelry there are different styles and techniques in which you can specialize, such is the case of wire wrapping. As its name indicates, wire drawing is the technique used to model the wire. However, it is not just any wire, but a special one for the manufacture of jewelry pieces.
What is wire mesh? Where are you from? What is the correct way to do it? What do you need for it? What recommendations should you know? Throughout this article we will be answering these and other questions.
Therefore, if you want to venture into the world of manual tasks, you cannot stop reading what we have for you. You will surely want to try it as soon as possible and thus start earning extra money.
Instructions for making jewelry with wire
Everything arose many years ago with the discovery of different metals, as well as their treatment. Although it is true that their techniques were not as good and effective as those we use today, ancient civilizations managed to make great strides in the world of art.
In the past, the use of wire wrapping was limited to the manufacture of different types of ornaments that were used to adorn the body, such as diadems, bracelets, necklaces, etc. However, with the passage of time, this art has been perfected.
Currently, it is possible to make wire with materials, such as aluminum, copper, silver, iron and even other metals. His technique is synonymous with originality and, with it, any type of form can be represented. For example, geometric figures, animals, plants, etc. But, what makes it infinite and exclusive, without a doubt, is the abstraction.
Each wire walker has the opportunity to model the wire as they please, using their imagination, but not before receiving some kind of training. Sure, practice is what makes perfect. Only in this way will you be able to create a piece that has character, with many uses and that is to the taste of people.
But how can you make a piece of wire? How about we start with something simple and basic, like a ring? To achieve this, it is important that you follow the following steps:
- The first thing you have to do is cut about 50 cm of wire.
- Pass a pearl of water through the wire and place it in the middle of it.
- Measure your finger to find out the ring size. To do this, you can use something that has a cylindrical shape and is about the thickness of your finger.
- Surround the object in a cylindrical shape with the wire, in such a way that you begin to shape it.
- Give the wire several turns until you get the thickness you want for your ring. This will make it much more resistant.
- Make sure you run the wire through one side and the other. That is, above the stone and below it, taking care that both sides have the same amount of wire.
- Take the wire out of the mold and start to refine the details using your fingers, so that the piece has a definite shape.
- Use the remaining part of the wire to hold the water bead. Wrap the wire around it, back and front. Do it as many times as you want until you get the shape you like best.
- When doing this, try to hide the wire that you have inserted through the pearl.
- Finally, so that your ring doesn’t come apart later or get caught on clothing or other fabric, secure each end of the water bead and then cut the wire.
- With the help of a think, push the excess part of the wire that was left when you made the cut.
- Put it back in the cylinder that you used as a mold, in order to give it the final touches in terms of shape and voila! It will now be ready to use.
Please note that you can substitute the water pearl for any other stone. Use the one you like best and the color of your choice.
Its main functions
Within the basic level of wiring, we can find some of these functions:
- It is used to hold pieces that do not have a hole, that is, to set and thus achieve pieces such as charms for necklaces.
- To make the ends of the earrings and thus offer your customers a 100% handmade product.
- For the manufacture of hooks for both necklaces and bracelets.
- To make rings of different sizes and uses.
- It also serves to make bases for circular earrings.
- To make earrings, rings, bracelets or other pieces that are 100% wire, giving it the shape you want.
Given that wire is a very versatile material, what else do you need to start making quality wire?
What do you need to make jewelry with wire?
As you have been able to realize, for the elaboration of the previous ring, many materials were not necessary, since it was a very handmade piece. However, to obtain much cleaner results, that is, a better finish, you must have some basic elements. For example:
- Pliers, tweezers or pliers. These must be of different types, since each one fulfills a different function. Find one with a flat tip, one with a round trip, one with a silicone tip, and one that is used for cutting.
- Some bases of wood or metal, which are known by the name of mandrels and have a conical shape, which allows you to shape different structures, such as earrings, rings or bracelets. However, these bases are not essential. If you can’t get them, you can use round objects instead, like glasses, pencils, etc.
- A hammer. You will use this in case you want to flatten the wire. Therefore, it is actually an optional tool. Keep in mind that it is not just any hammer, but a special one for the use of jewelry. They are usually lightweight and less durable than the ones we use to drive a nail into the wall.
- You can also locate a tool that is used to twist the wire, to make coils, rings, springs, etc.
- Of course, you will need wire. It is important that you keep in mind that there are different colors, calibers, types and materials. The one you decide to use will depend on the quality, finish and use that will be given to the created piece.
There are light wires and other heavier ones. Among the most expensive are the gold ones or those that are gold plated, then there are the silver ones, the bronze ones and then the copper ones, which are the easiest to find.
But what tips are important when manipulating wire artistically? We will be talking about that next.
Tips for making jewelry with wire
To make jump rings, you must use the round nose pliers. You can make a mark with some permanent marker, so you know the thickness of the ring or eyelet you need.
Take the wire, place it in the part where you made the mark, making sure not to over-wire it, give it a small turn inwards and that’s it! You don’t need to tighten it too much, he thinks. In fact, if you do, you’ll strip the wire and the finish won’t be perfect. Finally, take a pliers to cut and you can now use your ring or eyelet.
Remember that wire is a very delicate material, which requires a certain way of treating it, depending on its gauge or thickness. For thinner wires like number 22, make sure to handle it very gently, otherwise you could end up damaging it completely.
Thicker wires, such as 18 gauge, require a higher force to be applied, not only to shape but also to cut. Therefore, take as much time as you need to work them cleanly.
Use tweezers that are precision cut. They will make your life much easier, since the cut will be perfect. There will be no spikes or leftover bits of wire. But, if it happens that you do not have one of these, you can also use a nail clipper that, although it does not have the same function, fulfills the objective very well.
If you notice that your tweezers have become dull, don’t throw them away and don’t spend money having them sharpened. You can do it yourself. You just have to make a small ball of aluminum foil and cut it several times with the help of your tweezers.
As you make these cuts, pull the pliers toward you so that they get sharper with each cut you make. Do it as many times as you think necessary and, in the end, your clamp will be as good as new, ready to be used again.
Practice, practice and don’t stop practicing. Remember that it is practice that makes perfect. Of course, as expected, your first creations will be flawed, they won’t have the finish you expect and, in some cases, you will even damage the wire you were using. When that happens to you, don’t be too hard on yourself. Remember that all art has to be cultivated and perfected.
Be very patient. It is possible that a form will not come to you at first or, perhaps, you may visualize it in a certain way, but the reality becomes a very different one. However, if you persist and don’t give up, you will most likely achieve what you are looking to do.
Mastering the technique of wiring brings many benefits for those who have the trade of making jewelry. Sometimes, you may need a piece, such as a rope ending, a brooch, a ring, some hooks for tendrils, etc., if you cannot go out and buy them, wire mesh will allow you to get out of trouble, since you can make these pieces yourself. Which represents a great advantage.
Likewise, those who make wire ropes are considered true artists. Therefore, everything they make, as a product of their imagination and 100% handmade methods, are considered works of art, ideal for a gift to someone very special. In addition, it turns out to be a therapeutic practice, which can help you channel stress and clear your mind.
Get down to business and start wire lining today. You already know what materials you need and what is the technique for beginners. So you have no excuses. Try it and you won’t regret it.