If you are a person who likes crafts, you can take advantage of this hobby to make your own fashion accessories. In this particular case, we are going to explain how to make earrings with polymer clay, so that you can create them in different designs to achieve an exceptional finish.
Earrings are a complement that fulfills an aesthetic function and decorate the ears of both men and women. Currently you can find a lot of different types of earrings, but in addition to buying them you can, thanks to crafts, make them yourself.
In this case we are going to teach you how to make earrings with polymer clay. This is a material that is used to sculpt by artists and craftsmen, which is made of PVC, totally recyclable.
It has the advantage that it is soft and that it can be molded in many different ways, so its malleability makes it a perfect material for crafts. In fact, in addition to the earrings that we are going to teach you how to make, following similar steps you can create other types of accessories, such as bracelets, rings, necklaces, etc.
You should know that polymer clay, if stored properly, can last for years, but you should always make sure to keep it away from sunlight and excessive heat.
Instructions for making earrings with polymer clay
If you are interested in knowing how to make earrings with polymer clay you will have to follow the following steps:
- Buy polymer clay. The first of the steps you must take to be able to make these earrings is to get hold of polymer clay. You can find it in any specialized store, knowing that there are a large number of different gears, some that offer a softer touch than others. As it is a material that is incorporated very well, you have the possibility of mixing colors, although in any case you should always look at the baking instructions of each brand.
- Accessories for jewelry. After getting the polymer clay, and before starting, you have to be clear about what type of earrings you want to know the amount of clay you need and the accessories you will need for jewelry, such as wires, rings…
- Mix of colors. Once the above is done, it will be time to mix the colors. To do this, it will be enough for you to take your favorite colors and incorporate them to generate a marbled effect. If you prefer, you can also mix the colors so that they give rise to a color that is totally new. However, in the latter case, you should bear in mind that if you do not mix correctly, it is likely that you will end up with a color that will not be very pleasing to the eye.
- Sculpt the clay. From now on it will be time to make the earrings with polymer clay. We will start by sculpting with our fingers. To start, make simple shapes, especially in your first creations, since it will be difficult for you to make complex elaborations in your beginnings. Go adding pieces of clay on top to create a pattern. In this sense, when sculpting clay, you must bear in mind that the limit is marked by your imagination and your creativity. However, you will need to have artistic ability when making crafts with this material.
- Add metal accessories. Next it’s time to add metal accessories before firing. Some of the accessories must be baked together with it, so you must make sure that everything you put in the oven is appropriate for it. This is an important point, since in case you make a mistake and do not include everything necessary you will find that, once baked, you will not be able to do it or change the shape if you do not like the result.
- The next step is to bake the polymer clay item. When doing so, you must follow the instructions that are indicated on the package. In most cases, the clays are baked at a temperature of 135ºC for about 20 minutes.
- Once baked, it will only be necessary to let it cool. You can touch them up with extra fine sand paper if necessary. If instead of making polymer clay earrings you opt for a necklace, it will be time to pass the thread or chain through the wire ring of the earring. If you opt for earrings, it will be as simple as connecting the wire to the hoop that comes out of the earrings and you will have made your creation.
As you can see, knowing how to make earrings with polymer clay is easier than you could imagine. In this way you can get really original and creative creations, and that fit perfectly in all your looks.
What do you need to make earrings with polymer clay?
- Polymer clay
- Accessories for jewelry