It is common for us to find ourselves with the need to make gifts for a specific date, to send a shipment or simply for any reason that interests us, being necessary that these gifts go in an appropriate packaging. Although on many occasions you think of boxes made of wood or other materials, the reality is that it is possible to create a cardboard box by yourself that is totally personalized and according to your needs.
If you want to know how to make custom cardboard boxes, then we are going to explain what you must do step by step, so that you can find a perfect place to give a gift or make a shipment and that perfectly suits your needs. needs and the objects to introduce inside.
Boxes are a practical and economical solution that helps you solve storage problems, send all kinds of objects, etc. In fact, you can make small boxes to avoid having many objects around the room or all over the table, small objects that you can store in an organized way in a cardboard box.
Making your own box, regardless of its purpose, is always a good option, since in this way you can meet your storage needs and even have a good appearance since you can decorate it as you like.
Materials for making cardboard boxes
Before starting to explain how to make custom cardboard boxes, it is important that you know that there are different materials in the world of cardboard. Therefore, depending on the type of objects to be transported or stored in it, you will have to choose one or the other.
Some of the most used are gray cardboard, corrugated cardboard and cardboard reused from other boxes.
Instructions for making custom cardboard boxes
Next, we are going to explain how to make custom cardboard boxes with different materials, so that you can choose the option that best suits you and your preferences:
How to make custom cardboard boxes with a corrugated cardboard lid
This type of craft is called car tonnage, a technique that is used both to create cardboard boxes and even to build furniture.
In this case you will need:
- Corrugated paperboard
- Hot melt glue sticks
- glue gun
- gummed paper tape
- Paper and pencil
- Cutter and spare blades
- Hard surface
Once you have these materials you must follow the following process:
- To begin with, you must be clear about the measurements of your cardboard box. To do this, you must choose equal measurements for the front and back pieces, as well as two equal side pieces and an equal base and lid.
- On the piece of corrugated cardboard, you must draw each of the pieces according to their measurements using the ruler and the cutter and proceed to cut the box.
- Once cut, try to place them to see that they fit perfectly between them and if you have to cut any more or it is not necessary. In this case, you can also create a notch if you consider it necessary, especially if this box is going to be placed on some kind of shelf.
- Next you must take the glue gun and after heating it, take the piece that will make the base of the box. Take a front piece and place a thin bead of glue over its bottom edge and glue it to the base of the front piece.
- When you have glued the first piece, you must do the same and glue the two side pieces and finally the back. It is advisable that after gluing it, you keep the piece completely still for a few seconds, until the glue cools.
- Then do the same and take the base of the lid and stick it with a thin bead of glue.
- Once this is done, it is time to reinforce the box so that it does not deform. To do this you must take some strips of gummed tape and cut some strips that you will stick on their outer edges, in the shape of a «V». You will have to make as many as the box has edges so that they are perfectly reinforced.
- Then use the clothespins to match the edge of the lid with the edge of the box and place a thin bead of glue in the middle. Pin with clothespins until the two pieces are glued together.
- Then you must cut two strips of adhesive tape and stick the first along the inside and while the glue is soft, you must close the lid. In this way, the tape will adapt to the closing and opening game of the box. Then take the other strip of sticky tape and stick it on the outside, since it will act as a hinge.
How to make corrugated cardboard boxes step by step
Another option is knowing how to make custom cardboard boxes out of corrugated cardboard, a type of cardboard that is slightly folded or wrinkled. To make them you just need:
- double sided corrugated cardboard
- Corrugated paper
- pencil and eraser
- scissors and cutter
- paper to decorate
The procedure to do it is as follows:
- At first you must choose a shape for your box, draw it and cut it out. Cut two equal shapes, one slightly larger than the other to be the lid and the box.
- Then you must take a sheet of corrugated paper and make a long strip 6 cm high, marking it on the side that is not corrugated. Cut the strip that has to be the length of the fold of the paper and make a second strip of 2.5 cm by the length of the fold. Cut a second strip.
- Once the above is done, you must take the smallest figure and put glue all over its contour. Then glue the thicker strip around it. Cut off the excess.
- Repeat the same process for the lid with the other shape and the thinner strip. Do the same, but sticking the cardboard underneath.
- Then you just have to decorate the corrugated cardboard box, for which you can use stickers, paint, etc.