If you like to tell stories to your children and have the stories you tell acted out with the help of a doll, knowing how to make a sock puppet is perfect for you. In addition, this craft for children is also perfect for children in the home to develop all their creativity when playing; and also to entertain themselves while they create the craft, like, for example, when making a portal and shadow theater with cardboard.
With some basic elements that everyone can have in their home or that are easy to get, you can create your own sock puppet to play with, a very simple craft to make and to which you can give the style and appearance that you prefer.
If you wonder how you can do it, this time we show you how to make a sock puppet step by step.
Instructions for making a sock puppet
If you are interested in knowing how to make a sock puppet, all you have to do is follow the steps that we are going to give you below:
- The first of the steps to follow is to gather all the necessary material to create it. It is important to always gather it first so as not to waste time later. In this article you will find all the materials you need to create it, starting with the sock and continuing with other materials that will help you achieve the final result of your creation.
- Once you have gathered all these materials it is time to take that sock you have decided to use and turn it into a puppet. In this sense, it is recommended that you choose a wide sock, since in this way you will be able to manipulate it more easily with your hand, a recommendation that is important that you take into account.
- With that said, the first thing you need to do is cut out a piece of felt to make the puppet’s mouth. It is common to opt for the red color to give a more realistic tone, as well as striking. However, as in the rest of the points of the creation of the puppet, everything is subject to your own imagination and the decisions you decide to make regarding its design.
- To make the mouth you can cut the piece of felt in the shape of a rectangle but with rounded ends, to later glue it to the sock using special glue for fabric. Keep in mind when doing this that the mouth should be at the back of the sock, that is, between the toes and the heel. If you prefer, you can also cut out felt in the shape of lips and glue them to the front of the sock.
- Then it is time to create the puppet’s hair, if you want it to wear them, or its ears, for example, for this you can use wool of the color you prefer. In this way you can give a few first decorative touches to your creation. To cut hair, all you have to do is wrap a bit of wool around your fingers several times and tie a knot at the upper end, subsequently cutting the threads at the lower end so that the hair is divided.
- Later you must take the thread and the needle to sew the wool and perfect the hair of your craft. For this, it must be sewn in the front and upper part of the sock. The location and shape you can decide on your own as you like to achieve the desired effect in your creation.
- Once you have provided your puppet with hair, it will be time to choose a pair of identical buttons to act as eyes. Sew them to the front of her, just below the sewn hair. In the event that you do not have buttons, you can always resort to other methods such as using a marker on the sock or sticking plastic eyes that you can find in many stores. You can also create the eyes out of cardboard and glue them on if you prefer.
- Once all of the above is done, you will already know how to make a sock puppet. One of its great advantages is that you can do it with your children and then play with it; in addition to the fact that you can create an infinity of different models. To do this, you only have to give free rein to your imagination and creativity, since through socks you can make all kinds of characters, animals, etc., logically with greater difficulty the more elaborate you want the final result of your creation to be.
What do you need to make a sock puppet?
If you want to know how to make a sock puppet you should start by gathering the following materials:
- A sock in the color of your choice.
- Buttons (2)
- wool scraps
- colored felt
- fabric glue
These are basic elements to make sock puppets, but you can always add others that interest you to achieve the desired final result.