It is very possible that throughout your life you have wondered on more than one occasion what your family roots have been, that is, who your ancestors were, where they came from…, a series of data that will allow you to create a family tree.
Actually creating it becomes a highly recommended activity to be able to deepen your family, which will allow you to learn more about your roots and value them. In addition, it is a job that you can do as a family, even with children, so that in this way they can learn more about all the people who were part of it up to the present.
Through a family tree it is possible to discover a lot of information about your ancestors and your own past. The reason for this is that you will have to spend not only creating it, but also digging into your family life to find the name of your ancestors, the region of the world they come from, etc.
This time we are going to explain how to make a creative family tree through different ways, so that you can get a good result.
Instructions for making a creative family tree
How to make a creative family tree for children?
First of all, we are going to tell you how to make a creative family tree for children, a craft with which they will be able to graphically represent the family line. In it you will have to place summary information about the ancestry and descent, organized by the degree of consanguinity.
To do this, the different members of the family must be united through lines or branches. These types of organization charts are one of the most popular crafts for children, since they will allow them to know more about their past.
To do this you will need:
- Medium size sheet of paper or card stock (any color).
- different colored pencils
- scissors and glue
- Photos of all family members who will be part of it (parents, siblings, grandparents…)
Once you collect them, you just have to follow these steps:
- First you must take the cardboard and place it on a table. Once opened, secure it to the table with tape so it doesn’t move or roll up.
- Then draw a tree on the cardboard. Alternatively, you can print a family tree that you like and paste it on the cardboard, always making sure that it is in the center of it.
- Let the child draw, according to their abilities, the face of relatives who do not have a photograph or who have not been able to find it.
- Then you must paste each of the photographs on the different branches of the family tree in ascending order, making the child find himself at the base of the tree. Go progressively going up until finally the photographs of all those who are part of the family appear.
- Once the photographs are placed, it is time to write the names of each of the family members. Take the opportunity to also indicate the degree of consanguinity and the kinship they have with the child.
- Once the above is done, it will only be necessary to decorate the family tree in the way you prefer, if you want to give it another aspect. Finally, you can hang it somewhere in the child’s room, so that he always remembers her ancestry and those who are part of his family.
How to make a creative family tree on PC?
If instead of doing it manually you prefer to do it directly on the computer, you have many possibilities. One of the easiest options to do this is by using Family Tree Builder, a simple software that will allow you to create your family genealogy very quickly.
Thanks to this you will be able to make your family tree and publish it on the web, in addition to translating it into different languages. If you are interested in how to do it this way, just follow these steps:
- You must first download and install the software on your computer.
- Once downloaded, run the program and go to the File menu, where you will have to choose the New Project
- Then add a name to the project and select the Main Language, which will be used by the program interface.
- Once the above is done, it is time for you to click on the Add Family button, then proceed to add the data of the family partner.
- Next you have to select the type of graph you want to create among all those that the application itself offers us.
- After having selected the type of appearance that our family tree will have, what we must do is add the photographs of each member of the family; which you will have to have previously obtained and scanned/passed to the computer.
- The next step is to add the (maiden) last name of the family members. In this way, the program itself will be in charge of optimizing the connections of the family tree.
- Then add the children to this family with their corresponding photos and start filling in the information to describe the children. In this way you will see how a window opens showing the couple and the children.
- As you create the tree, the program’s interface itself will give you the possibility of adding uncles, grandparents, cousins, and so on.
In this way, you will be able to create your own family tree without difficulty and with good results. However, apart from Family Tree Builder, there are other applications for the same purpose, such as Lucid Chart or Family Tree Legends.