Any time is a good time to make a craft with children (and not so young) and be able to enjoy a moment of entertainment, even more so when it is a craft that can be used later to play or for other uses; that is, when it is a creation that will be able to have a great use later.
This is the case that we are going to present to you in this article, where we are going to teach you how to make a cardboard chess. In this way you can enjoy your own chess table and the pieces you need to be able to play at any time you want.
Instructions for making a cardboard chess
If you want to know how to make a cardboard chess, we will explain how to make a table as well as the board and the pieces. This way you will have everything you need to enjoy this game.
How to make the chess table?
- To start making the table you need to take a square cardboard box. This must be resistant and have measures that are comfortable for you to work with. The size will depend on your preferences but it must be thick or be able to insert a box inside another to give it resistance.
- Once you have the cardboard box, it is time to shape the table, for which you can unfold your imagination. Flipping it over will give you a firm surface to play on, but to make it more visually appealing you can make cutouts to make it a cardboard table with legs.
- To do this you must draw, tracing the design on the cardboard with a pencil. You must give it the shape you like best, bearing in mind that it must have legs that are strong and wide enough to be able to maintain stability.
- Then cut the drawing made with a cutter.
- When you have done, the next thing is to prepare the table and cover it. First, proceed to fix the possible damage that you may have caused when cutting the box and then proceed to line the mesa. To do this, use pieces of approximately 5 cm of newspaper, which you will have to distribute throughout the table.
- Then prepare the glue, diluting three parts of white glue in one of water; and proceeds to stick the strips of newspaper on the cardboard box. To do this, help yourself with a wide brush or a small brush. When you have glued all the pieces all over the table you will have to let the layer of paper and glue dry. Keep in mind that the more layers you add, the more structure it will have, and it is recommended that you use at least two of them.
- The next step is to paint the table. Apply paint to the entire table and, after painting, apply a coat of lacquer.
How to make the board?
- To make the board the process is also very simple to do. For this case you must start by taking hard cardboard and cutting it creating a square of about 28 cm on each side (although it can vary if you prefer to make it of other dimensions).
- Then take an A3 piece of paper to make the squares for the boxes. Draw the board in the center of the paper, with the same dimensions as the stiff cardboard.
- Divide each side into 8 equal parts, so that you create the boxes, joining all the lines from the top to the bottom using a ruler.
- Then you have to paint the squares with a black marker, painting them alternately starting from the upper left corner, which is black.
- Once the above is done, you will only have to cut the board and proceed to cover it to prevent it from being damaged. For this you can use plastic to cover books or buy acetate or plexiglass.
- To assemble the board, you just have to take the cardboard square and apply a glue stick on one of its faces. On this place your board and make it perfectly fixed. In this way you already know how to make a cardboard chess and only the pieces will be missing.
How to make the pieces?
- Once the table and the board are made, it will be time to create the pieces. For this you can use black and white buttons, specifically you will need 16 of each.
- You must measure the radius of the buttons, keeping in mind that they must all have the same size.
- Once you have the dimensions, it is time to make 32 equal circles on cardboard, the size of the buttons. Inside each circle you must draw the chess figures, that is, a king, a queen, two bishops, two knights, two rooks and 8 pawns.
- To differentiate the white ones from the black ones, on the white ones leave only the outline and on the black ones fill it in.
- Then cut out these circles and paste them on the corresponding buttons.
What do you need to make a cardboard chess?
For the chess table:
- A square cardboard box
- White glue/Water
For the board:
- hard cardboard
- black marker
- A3 paper
- Plastic or vinyl to cover books
- Glue stick
- Buttons, wine stoppers… (for the pieces)