If you want to make crafts using a material that is easy to use, cheap and easy to get, this is cardboard without a doubt. For this reason, it is one of the most used in crafts for children, since they offer a large number of possibilities, including knowing how to make a cardboard boat, which is what we are going to explain to you on this occasion.
Thanks to making a cardboard boat you will be able to make a craft that is fun for children both when making it and later when playing with it. In addition, it is a good way to start familiarizing yourself with the material to make other similar creations.
Why choose cardboard to make a boat?
There are different reasons why you may want to know how to make a cardboard boat and not another material, the main reasons being the following:
- It is a material that is very easy to find, in addition to the fact that there are a large number of different options to be able to find the most appropriate one to carry out this project.
- It is an easy to handle and versatile material, so it can be used for all kinds of simple and fun crafts. In addition, children can manipulate it without any problem of suffering cuts or other problems that are present in other materials.
- It allows you to enjoy different finishes, either finishing the craft with paint, wallpaper, drawings, etc. It therefore offers many customization options.
- It is a sustainable and 100% recyclable material. It is possible to reuse other cardboard that you have from received packages to create a cardboard boat. This way you can give them a new use. In addition, when the useful life of the cardboard boat ends or you no longer want it, you can reuse that same cardboard for other purposes and make new crafts.
- Cardboard allows many options and makes it easy to make fun and easy children’s crafts. It is a suitable material for the little ones to develop their imagination.
Instructions for making a cardboard boat
If you want to know how to make a cardboard boat, the steps you must follow are the following:
- First of all, what you need to do is determine the size that you are going to want for the creation of the cardboard boat. Depending on whether you want a small or large size, you will need a piece of cardboard that is larger or smaller. This will depend on the needs and preferences of each one.
- Next you need to start thinking about the base of the cardboard boat. This will be made with some corrugated cardboard. To do this, you only have to cut the piece of this cardboard to the size that interests you and, once you have cut it, you will have to give both the upper and lower parts a rounded shape. To do this you must cut the endsof it.
- The next step will be to cut two pieces of cardboard that will serve as the sides of the boat. These have to have identical dimensions to the base you have created. Again you do the same process, cut the ends perpendicularly so that the shape is oval.
- When you have done the above, you must take both sides and glue them with hot silicone to the corrugated cardboard base. Let it dry and check that they are perfectly attached. If you can’t get it to stay well fixed, an alternative option is to place a piece of cardboard between the end of the sides towards the base, so that you can make it stay better attached.
- Once the previous steps are done, you will already have the basic structure of the process of knowing how to make a cardboard boat. Now it’s time to take three toothpicks, the kind that are usually used to nail meat skewers. You glue them to the base with silicone, making them look like ship’s masts.
- Next you will have to use the paint, whether they are markers, temperas or another type of it, to paint the cardboard boat, either the same color or several different ones. In addition, you can let the children decorate it with their own drawings or simply leave it with the color of the cardboard if you prefer.
- If you decide to paint it, wait for it to finish drying and, once it is dry, you can place the candles. For this you can use fabric that you have at home, either from an old shirt or another that you do not use. This should be glued to the masts or tied with elastic band.
- Once these steps have been completed, you will have your cardboard boat made and the children will be able to enjoy playing with it.
What do you need to make a cardboard boat?
- Corrugated cardboard
- skewer sticks
- Temperas, paint or markers.
- hot silicone